Halloween is just on the horizon, and folks are getting excited about all the fun costume ideas out there. We’re starting to all the new and classic horror movies on TV, and of course, all the stores are beginning to sell candy like crazy. Best of all, preparing for Halloween also means going all out on some creepy, scream-inducing decor that’s sure to keep the neighbors talking for years to come. But if you’re looking for something a bit different than your typical goblins, skeletons, and zombies this year, then we’ve found the perfect decor that sure to scare the socks off the neighborhood. How about decorating the outside of your home with huge, terrifying, realistic-looking DIY spiders?
For those out there with Arachnophobia, a fear of spiders (which happens to be one of the most common fears in the world), this may not be your cup of tea. And if that’s the case, you may want to stop reading right about now, because things are going to get a bit crawly from here on. But if spiders don’t send you looking for your nearest flamethrower, this DIY spider decoration idea might be just the thing you’re looking for if you want to shake things up a bit this Halloween season.
These DIY spiders are also super easy and won’t require a lot of time to make. Not to mention they look seriously awesome on the outside of your home. And not for nothing, they can be a great visual relief from all the typical pumpkins, skeletons, and witches you see decorated on every other house.
Don’t say we didn’t warn you, Arachnophobics!
Making these giant creepy crawlies just couldn’t be easier, even for those who don’t consider themselves DIY-ers. All you need are a few supplies and maybe a half-hour of spare time. The directions to make these spiders can be found below. Note that you can get most of the supplies on the list at your local craft store.
Things you’ll need:
- Two half-sphere wire globes (8-inch and 16-inch)
- Furry fabric that resembles spider fur
- Stem wire (16-gauge)
- Foam tube (6 ft x 1 in)
- Zip ties
How to make the spiders:
1. Connect the two half-sphere globes together with zip-ties. This will act as your spider’s head and body.
2. Weave four pieces of wire on each side of the large globe to create the spider’s legs. You will want to loop the wire around the frame on each side a few times to secure them.
3. Next, cut and mold the fur to each circle. Hot glue may be the way to go to make sure it stays underneath but might not be necessary.
4. After that cut the foam tubing large enough to cover your spider’s wire legs. Make sure every bit of the wire is covered and that the tubing is pushed all the way in toward the body. Then bend each wire to shape the legs.
5. Finally, use either wire, twine, adhesive strips, or hooks to put them in place all over the outside of your home.
See, that was easy! You can make as many or few as you would like, but we’ve gotta say, the more giant creepy-crawly spiders on your home, the better! The downside is that you might find yourself with fewer trick-or-treaters this year. Which would be a shame, because what would you do with all that extra yummy candy?
Cue the evil laugh!
What did you think of this idea? Please let us know in the comments section and be sure to share this story with your friends and family.
Source: Tip Hero