Are you somebody who has a ‘green thumb’? Some people love growing plants at home but others feel that they tend to kill plants, every time they put their hands on them. Although that may be true to a certain extent, there are plants that are easier to grow than others. Perhaps you have tried a little windowsill garden of your own, growing some herbs and having a little bit of success. What you may not realize is that you can also grow pineapples at home, and once you see how easy it is, you may just want to start a little pineapple garden of your own.
There are many different types of fruit in this world but the pineapple is one of the most beloved fruits of all time. Not only does it have that perfect sweetness, it has a consistency that makes it a real pleasure to eat. What many people don’t realize is that this tropical fruit actually grows on trees and you can grow one of those trees, in miniature form, right in your living room.
You might be surprised with exactly how easy it is to grow your own pineapple at home. It can be done in 5 simple steps. As long as you follow these steps and are patient, you can have your own, delicious, homegrown pineapple.
1. Remove the crown: buy a pineapple at the store and twist the crown until it is fully removed. Leave the crown on the table for a few days so the stock dries and it won’t rot.
2. Put the crown in water: remove some of the leaves at the bottom of the crown so the roots appear. Put it in a glass of water at room temperature and leave it to soak for a few days. The roots will begin to grow out and once they grow an inch, move on to the next step.
3. Put the crown in soil: once the roots have grown long enough, plant it in a flower pot about 1 inch below the soil. Press the soil firmly around the roots and water it to moisten the soil.
4. Water and grow: water the pineapple plant every day with a spray bottle. Keep the soil moist but don’t let it get soaking wet.
5. Harvest: Once the pineapple has grown large enough, harvest and enjoy your delicious, homegrown fruit.