People tend to be divided into different categories and sometimes, it may be one or another of two different categories. That is the case when it comes to people’s dominant hands. The majority of the population will use the right hand most of the time but there is also a part of the population that uses their left hand as well.
More than likely, you never stop to think too much about how fascinating it is that people may use one hand or the other. Of course, most left-handed people will consider this on a regular basis because the world tends to be set up for the benefit of those who are right-handed. That being said, there are also many other things to learn about left-handed people that are quite fascinating.
The following 23 interesting facts show you that left-handed people are not only interesting, they can be quite amazing as well. More than likely, you never knew some of these facts before. Of course, there are people who use both their left hand and the right-hand and they are known as being ambidextrous. Left-handed people, on the other hand, make up a unique part of the population and as you are about to see, they do so in style.
1. As much as 10% of the population are left-handed
2. Lefties are three times more likely to abuse alcohol
3. Lefties predominantly use the right side of the brain
4. Most left-handed people are like bloomers
5. They may excel at certain sports, including baseball, swimming, boxing and tennis
6. 4 out of seven recent presidents were left-handed
7. Lefties who graduate college tend to be richer than right-handed people
8. A long time ago, left-handed people may have been accused of having a bad habit, having a sign of neurosis, being rebellious or even being a criminal.
9. The word left came from an old anglo-saxon word (lyft). It means weak or broken
10. When a woman over 40 gives birth, she is 128% more likely to give birth to a lefty not a woman in her 20s
11. Rats, cats and mice have equal numbers of left and right handed
12. Left-handed people tend to be better at math and architecture.
13. 25% of Apollo astronauts were left-handed
14. Almost 30 million people in the United States are left-handed
15. Lefties are more likely to suffer from allergies and asthma
16. Left-handed people tend to adjust better than right-handed people when their dominant hand is incapacitated
17. The longest words that can be typed with only the left-hand are sweater, dresses, tesserae and decades
18. There were a number of members of the royal family who were left-handed, including, the queen’s mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles and Prince William
19. Left-handed people are more likely to suffer from insomnia
20. August 13th is International Left Handers Day
21. Osama Bin Laden, The Boston Strangler and Jack the Ripper were left handed
22. Lefties see better underwater
23. Lefties tend to have a short fuse. John McEnroe is a lefty. Need I say more?
Be sure to share this with your friends on Facebook