We may face many different types of health challenges in our life. Some of those challenges are going to be serious but others may be more of an annoyance than anything else. One of the challenges that we are likely to face, however, is the buildup of excessive fluid in our body tissues. This problem, known as edema, may be an inconvenience but it could also be a sign of serious issues.
Edema may affect any part of the body but it is more likely to occur in the lower extremities, including the legs and feet. It might result in more than a visible swelling, it could result in weight gain, high blood pressure and stiff joints. These issues may then continue to be a problem and could even cause further problems, some as serious as an increased risk for heart attack.
One of the issues that can lead to water retention is environmental factors. This could include changes in the weather, especially in the temperature. High altitudes may also be a factor, as are various medications that we are taking, including contraceptives. A diet that is high in salt and relatively low in water could lead to edema. Individuals who do not get enough activity on a regular basis may also suffer from it, or it could come as a result of a vitamin deficiency. Other factors that can lead to edema include poor circulation, stress, allergies, liver disorders, pregnancy and thyroid disease.
If you are somebody that suffers from edema, there are some natural ways to treat it. The following 10 methods may help and they are something that most of us have around the home.
1. Parsley – One of the most effective remedies for water retention, parsley is something that you should have on hand. Boil it in water until it begins vaporizing and then allow the water to cool until you can drink it. Drink this water as a tea 3 times daily until you begin seeing results.
2. Lemon juice – Another beneficial drink is lemon juice and it can flush toxins from the body. Add a few tablespoons of lemon juice to warm water and add some honey to taste. Drink this mixture until you see improvements.
3. Epsom salt – Many people use Epson salt to reduce bloating. It occurs through a process known as reverse osmosis and it helps to remove toxins from the body as well.
Add Epson salt to a warm bath and soak for 15 minutes. Repeat every other day.
4. Apple cider vinegar – This natural treatment can be used for many purposes but it also helps to reduce your water retention by supplying potassium. When you increase your potassium, you reduce your sodium levels.
Add 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of water and drink up to three times daily. You can increase how much apple cider vinegar you are using gradually. You might also want to try soaking your feet in a mixture of warm water and apple cider vinegar for 10 minutes daily.
5. Fennel seeds – Fennel is a very powerful diuretic and can increase your urine production. It also helps with digestion and can reduce toxins in the body.
Begin by boiling one teaspoon of fennel seeds in hot water. Once the water begins boiling, cover it and cool for 10 minutes. Remove as much fennel from the water as you can then consume this tea three times daily.
6. Stinging nettle root – if That you have access to stinging nettle, you can use its natural properties to increase urine production and decrease water retention. Boil 1 teaspoon of nettle root in a cup of water and consume this tea three times daily.
7. Cranberry juice – Drinking cranberry juice daily can help to reduce how much water you are retaining. 1 cup of cranberry juice daily can work wonders.
8. Aromatherapy – Using essential oils can also help with the treatment of water retention. It helps by stimulating the lymphatic system. Some of the best oils for this purpose include Juniper, cypress and geranium.
9. Dandelion – Many different studies have shown that dandelion can increase urine production and it provides potassium for the body. It is also high in magnesium, so can help with temporary bloating during your menstrual cycle.
Add 1 teaspoon of dried dandelion leaves in warm water and bring to a boil. You can drink this tea three times daily. Be aware of the fact that dandelion may interact with certain medications, so talk to your doctor about this natural treatment.
10. Onion – Onion is a natural blood cleaner and can increase your urine production. It is also good for the prevention of kidney stones. Peel a few onions, add to 4 cups of water and bring to a boil. Add salt to the water to improve taste. Drink 3 cups daily for a few days.
You should also eat plenty of pineapples, watermelon, cucumbers, bananas, celery, cabbage and water crest. Make sure that you drink enough water during the day to prevent dehydration, because that can lead to water retention as well.
Be sure to share this with your friends on Facebook